Future Radio in 3GPP
The 3GPP RAN Chairman held a workshop this week, to identify common requirements for future 3GPP radio access technologies.
As well as the call for higher data rates and more capacity to cope with traffic predictions - with usage set to double in each of the next five years – 3GPP companies agreed that priority must also be given to complimentary areas:
- Energy saving
- Cost efficiency
- Support for diverse application and traffic types
- Backhaul enhancements
After the discussions on those ‘Requirements’, presentations also brought forward proposals for potential technologies for 3GPP elaboration.
Takehiro Nakamura, RAN Chairman, observed that the majority of the Member companies – There were over 50 presentations from the leading operators and manufacturers during the two days - showed interest in enhanced small cells for LTE, with some re-occurring proposals in that area, such as:
- Interference coordination / management
- Dynamic TDD
- Enhanced discovery / mobility
- Frequency separation between macro and small cells - using higher frequency bands in small cells (e.g. 3.5 GHz)
- Inter site Carrier aggregation / macro cell assisted small cells
- Wireless backhaul for small cells
The workshop also considered LTE Multi-Antenna and site technologies such as 3D MIMO and beamforming, as well as further work needed on existing CoMP and MIMO specifications and future enhancements.
Other areas for Release 12, commonly identified in the presentations, included:
- Support for diverse traffic types (Control signaling reduction, etc.)
- Interworking with WiFi
- Continuous enhancements for Machine type communications, Self organizing networks (SON), MDT and advanced receiver
- Proximity Services and Device to Device communications
- Further enhancements for HSPA including interworking with LTE
RELEASE 12 scheduleRelease 12 should take 18 to 24 months to complete, with its freeze date expected in 2014.
The RAN#56 meeting report gives further details of the schedule, following the Workshop. It says that new Work Item and Study Item proposals – that take the above findings in to account - can be provided to the next RAN Plenary in Chicago in September (RAN #57).
Also, an email discussion is to be initiated by the RAN chairman, on the RAN reflector list - prior to the Chicago plenary, to establish the requirements and deployment scenarios of small cell enhancements.
During RAN#26 in Ljubljana the RAN Chairman also emphasised that the start of new work (on Release 12) will depend on workload situation in last quarter of 2012, as 3GPP Release 11 completion is the current priority.
The Workshop Presentations
Contact for this story: