3GPP produces Technical Specifications, to be transposed by seven Standardization Bodies (Organizational Partners) into their appropriate deliverables (e.g., standards).
The 3GPP Organizational Partners – from Asia, Europe and North America – determine the general policy and strategy of 3GPP and perform the following tasks:
- Approval and maintenance of the 3GPP scope
- Maintenance of the Partnership Project Description
- Taking decisions on the creation or cessation of Technical Specification Groups, and approving their scope and terms of reference
- Approval of Organizational Partner funding requirements
- Allocation of human and financial resources provided by the Organizational Partners to the Project Co-ordination Group
- Acting as a body of appeal on procedural matters referred to them
The Organizational Partners and Market Representation Partners (MRPs) jointly perform the following tasks:
- Maintenance of the Partnership Project Agreement;
- Approval of applications for 3GPP partnership;
- Taking decisions relating to the dissolution of 3GPP.
3GPP Organisational Partners Contacts
The 3GPP Technical Specifications (TS) and Technical Reports (TR) have, in themselves, no legal standing. They only become “official” when transposed into corresponding publications of the Organizational Partner (or the national / regional standards body acting as publisher for the Partner).
Once a Release is frozen (see definition in TR 21.900), 3GPP specifications are officially transposed and published by the Organizational Partners, as a part of their standards series.
Market Representation Partners
The 3GPP Organizational Partners may invite a Market Representation Partner to take part in 3GPP, which:
- Has the ability to offer market advice to 3GPP and to bring into 3GPP a consensus view of market requirements (e.g., services, features and functionality) falling within the 3GPP scope
- Does not have the capability and authority to define, publish and set standards within the 3GPP scope, nationally or regionally
- Has committed itself to all or part of the 3GPP scope
- Has signed the Partnership Project Agreement
Our Market Representation Partners
The Partners meet regularly at the 3GPP Project Coordination Group (PCG) meetings alongside the 3GPP Technical Specification Group Chairs.
The status of Observer may be granted by the Organizational Partners to an entity which has the qualifications to become a future Partner (3GPP Working Procedures, Article 10).
3GPP currently has the following Observers: